Monday, June 14, 2010

The never thought...

My life has always been full of surprises. When I was 7 years old my grandma asked me to help her pull weeds in her garden. I told her no, turned around and ran away. I didn't like pulling weeds and I was definitely not going to pull them in my grandma's garden. It caught me by total surprise when she caught me by the top of my head and pulled me back the garden by my hair. An old lady, and at that age someone who I thought was ancient, caught up with me! ME! A young cheetah! Needless to say I had to re-vamp my ideas of a quick scheme to get out of work. When I was 17 years old I got a full-ride scholarship to attend culinary arts school. It was a dream come true. I loved it until I started doing it. I determined at that moment that cooking for me was so much a passion that if I did it for a living I'd end up hating it. When I was 20 years old a doctor in Puerto Rico told me that I had something lodged in my brain and then insisted that I would have to have it removed. He said that he didn't know what it was but he was sure it was the reason that I was having a migraine everyday. He went on to scare the living crap out of me by telling me that it was serious enough to be sent home to Utah immediately. It turned out that the "something" that was lodged in the back of my brain was a cyst and wasn't cause for concern. It's still there and as far as I know is still the size of an egg. It rest peacefully next to my brain and the bone in the back of my head. But, not even my grandma catching up to me that day compares to the following story.

3 months ago Melissa had a miscarriage. It had been her second one in less than 4 months and needless to say, we were distraught. We had determined after that moment that we were going to wait to have a baby for a while. Melissa needed to heal and we needed to have a little more us time. Plus, we didn't want to have another surprise like we had just had the last 2 times. 6 weeks later Melissa started getting sick. She had a lot of symptoms associated with the flu so we weren't too worried about it. After a few days however, she started getting worse. We called her OBGYN and she said, as we thought, that there was a flu bug going around but since we were worried we could take a pregnancy test. After three positive answers we called the doctor back and were told to come in for some blood work. Within two hours of the blood work Melissa got a call telling her that she needed to come in ASAP for an ultrasound. The doctor was worried about the results of her test and she needed to see what was going on. The next morning we went in for the test, anxious for what was about to happen. After a careful, and very careful test, we found out that Melissa was exactly 6 weeks pregnant. We were blown away. How could she possibly be pregnant? She had just had a miscarriage 6 weeks prior. It was a completely different pregnancy and had somehow survived the miscarriage. We asked the doctor and she didn't know. When we went in for our first official appointment all she was able to tell us was that things like this just happen. Our baby is now 12 weeks. He/she is healthy and strong. Baby Sorensen is due on December 25th and has to be the biggest surprise of my life.

-Jeremy-

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I LOVE THIS POST!!!! I had no idea what to expect when I started reading it. I am so excited for you guys! Take good care and I can't wait to hear more updates! Make sure you get an ultrasound uploaded! I want to see Baby Sorensen!

Logan Davis said...

God truly has something in store for this baby. A true blessing this is. You will be a wonderful Daddy! I'm so happy for the both of you!

Shan said...

Oh my gosh, Jeremiah!!! That is sooooo fabulous to hear. I am very happy for you guys! Tell Mel congrats for me ;)