Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Day thirteen...a bad number

Tonight I made homemade spring rolls.  They were very tasting.  I wanted to try something that I've done before, just in a different way.  I'm trying to eat better so instead of frying them, I baked them.  They didn't have as much crunch as you would get if you had them fried, but damn girl, they were so good.

I also made a lemon sauce to go with them.  It...sucked!  I followed a recipe that I found to a T, and it tasted terrible.  It had more of a vegetable stock flavor than a lemony flavor.  Honestly, it tasted like extremely sweet vegetables.  Yuck!  I told myself that I should make it from my head but decided to follow a recipe instead.  I know now that the next time I need to make a sauce, I need to go with my own thoughts.  The food usually tastes better.

The spring rolls were really easy to make.  I took various vegetables and combined them in a pan.  I cooked them until they were very transulcent.  This also meant that all of the veges kind of meshed into one.  I figured out a long time ago that when you make spring/egg rolls that you want everything to have distinct flavors but also taste like one giant flavor.  I wrapped them using filo dough.  They made 12 spring rolls.  I put them in the oven and baked them for 20 minutes.

If you want the recipe then let me know.

-Jer



No comments: