Saturday, December 31, 2016

Things are about to change...

for this blog! Thanks for tuning in!

It seems like I've been posting goals and "resolutions" every year for a long time. If I were to look back over the last 200+ posts, I would read resolution after resolution of goals and promises that I have made to myself. Yes, some of them were accomplished. No, not all of them were fulfilled. If I were to look back, the posts would be littered with the gravestones of resolutions that were never resolved. This year, I'm not doing that. There will be no more death. I will not be burying any more hopes. I have no more empty propositions that I've made for myself. I'm hurt when I can't live up to them, and feel like I've let you all down when they aren't finished.

That being said, I am changing things. I'm not resolving to change, I'm going to change. I'm going to change how I eat, how I think, how I live. I'm going to see my body working for me again. I won't be a victim to it's treachery any longer. I've lived for 30 years with pain and strife because I didn't know how to take care of something that was screaming out for help. I'm taking back my life. You might call this a resolution, but it's not. It's a life change, and I'm making it for me.

You've read all about the issues that I've been having with my digestive system. I've talked about my foul bodily issues like they had thoughts and feelings of their own; almost as if they did things of their own accord. There was a time, almost 10 years ago, when I called these distresses "Ralph". When my body would throw me into bouts of agony (meaning I was curled up in a ball on the floor), I'd blame Ralph. It helped me put a name on an issue that the doctors couldn't. It took almost ten years for Ralph to receive a true name, a name in which I could use to take my body back.

I have what is called Eosinophilic Esophagitis or EoE. There is something that I'm eating (I currently don't know) that is causing a white blood cell called an Eosinophil to build up in my esophagus. These white blood cells aren't found in the Esophagus. When they start to collect there, they cause the esophagus to narrow, spiral, and close off. This causes food to become stuck in the throat, causing choking (dysphagia), heartburn, vomiting, and nausea. It's disorder that won't go away. There are no treatments or drugs that will get rid of it. The only thing that helps is eliminating what is causing the issue. What does this mean for me? Well, I throw up almost weekly, sometimes more. Foods, especially breads and other starches, love to become stuck in my Esophagus. They sit there for hours, causing chest pains, nausea, and heartburn. When too much food builds up in my stomach I throw up. Due to some other issues that I have, my symptoms become worse. These are the things that I am going to change.






 read about it here--> Eosinophilic Esophagitis



I also have gastritis and colitis. These both cause the bloating, diarreah, and all of the other things that I've mentioned in the past. They also aggravate my EoE symptoms, and like EoE, neither of them can be cured. I've learned that the biggest issue that I face, concerning food, is that the more fat, grease, and animal products that I eat, the worse I feel. I become sick. My body almost shuts down. I can't focus on anything other than the pain that I feel in my gut.

This leads me to the changes. I've been slowly reducing my intake of animal products. I've been going for a few months, eating very little. I've found that every time I partake in charred animal flesh, I feel terrible. Starting tomorrow, I'm eliminating meat out of my diet completely. It's becoming a big enough issue that I need to get rid of it all together. I tried this before, if you remember. But, this time I have the determination to get my body back. Starting tomorrow, I'm going to live on a almost 100% plant-based diet. I've set myself up for success. I don't plan on failing. This blog is going to be used to discuss my day to day achievement and shortcomings. I know that I won't be successful every day, but I plan on being amazing all of the time.

It's with a gulp in my throat and a fart in my colon that I say, as of January 1, 2017 I am a vegetarian.

There is more that I am doing with this...but you know what they say,





-Jer

No comments: