Wednesday, August 8, 2018

Should I sell myself?



When I started making cupcakes I did so as a way to escape. It was something therapeutic to help myself cope with the depression that otherwise crippled me. Cupcakes became my Zoloft or Cymbalta. They became the medication that I used to level out my emotions.  People wanted me to bake them cupcakes for parties and gladly did so, as it kept me in my "therapy". Over the last few months, my recipe has improved, my technique has evolved, and my little cakes have become fluffier and softer. I thought that if I continued to bake them that my desire to do so would decrease. But, as the cupcakes evolved so did my mentality. I thrive on finding new ways to enhance a simple dessert. I'm finding my drive to make something that will "wow" people has grown exponentially. My therapy has been working. Now, this isn't a "find your happiness" post. This is an extension of the post I wrote a few months ago.

Baking has always been an interest of mine. I put a lot of my time and effort into it. I put a little piece of myself into everything that I bake. It's a little known passion of mine. I love to write new formulas. It's such a rewarding moment when I can see what I wrote transformed into a successful product. When I created the initial cupcake formula it didn't quite work right. I had rising issues. The taste was a little off and the texture wasn't anything pleasant. I didn't give up however, as I had the desire to create something truly amazing. Thus, the reason I haven't written for a while. I've been focusing my time on perfecting this formula. My creation has finally reached the point that I don't feel anxious when someone eats it. I'm proud of what I've accomplished.

A couple of weeks ago I ran into one of my friends in the grocery store. As we were talking the conversation leaned towards my cupcakes and how amazing my photos of them look. She told me that I needed to start selling them. I told her my fear, which is that if I start making them as a business venture that I'll lose the desire to actually do them. She told me that I don't have to do them everyday. She gave me some ideas on how I can make them for others but still make it fun for myself. My biggest fear is that if I start a little business selling my baked goods, that it won't be something I ever want to do again.

There is a lady who decided that she had a really good dinner roll recipe. She wanted to share these rolls with the community around her but she didn't want to start a full business so she set up a Facebook business page. Instead of taking orders for rolls, she made her delicious rolls a few times a week and informed people on her business page that she would be making them and what days. She would then sell them to whoever asked first. This helped her share her talent with others, make a few dollars on the side, and not overwhelm herself with order after order. I'm considering doing the same thing with my cupcakes. I'd be able to stay in control of what kind I do and how many I do. Unlike this lady however, I'd be willing to take special request.

What do you all think? Is this something that I should do, or should I continue to just post them on my social media and tempt you with these gorgeous treats?

-Jer



1 comment:

Caudle family said...

Go for Jeremy. Your cupcakes are amazing. Do like that friend of yours. When you want to fo it. Then it won’t be a job. Something you have to do everyday. It will be something for you and when you like to do it. Love the strawberry cupcake. They are my fav