Thursday, August 26, 2010

cuminizing the grandma

A man walked into the hotel yesterday smelling strongly of cumin. I instantly thought that he had recently eaten at a mexican restaurant. Logan does have a vast array of local mexican cuisine to choose from. As he walked closer to the desk I noticed that the cumin smell had transformed into something far worse. You see, I don't like the smell or taste of cumin so the fact that he even brought the thought into my head was terrible. But, his smell transformed into the distinct smell of body odor. The smell that shrouds one's body after they've been driving for 3 hours. The odors that are brought about after a long day's work outside. This man smelled like he hadn't bathed in a week. He smelled as though, if he had taken a bath in a week, it was in a patch full of cumin plants. Poor man and his cumin addiction!



My grandma is someone who influences me immensely. The fact that, at her age, she still has the energy to grow and entire garden full of fresh fruits and vegetables, raise chickens, and have pet rabbits makes her and amazing lady in my eyes. Walking around her property is always a treat. As you walk through her various yards you can see distinct differences in how she has set everything up. She has a couple of locations that are set up directly for flowers and shade trees. She has certain areas that are distinct for their apple trees and pine trees. Then she has the part of her yard that I love. Her garden has always been a thing of beauty to me. In all of the summers that I can remember spending with my grandparents there isn't one that hasn't involved this garden. She's had corn on the cob, beets, beans, peas, squash, potatoes, onions, and so much more throughout the years. She is someone who I know for a fact has a green thumb. My grandma also has a passion for food. Her famous cinnamon rolls make my mouth water just thinking about them. You know she brings love into whatever she makes. You can see it while she is making it and when she presents it. Her kitchen table is always laced with fine china, even if my grandpa has grilled hotdogs for dinner. She always insists on baking homemade bread when ever there's a guest. The smells, which are so crisp and delicious, settle throughout her entire house and make you feel like you're at home. Having a tremendous variety of produce at her hands from her garden, she is always making the most delicious and melt-in-your-mouth meals you can think of making. She is my grandma and she is an amazing foodie!



-Jeremy-

No comments: