Thursday, November 4, 2010

Celiac

I figured since my friend Becky through her two cents into the Gluten-free ring, I should give it a try. I'm not even sure that many people even read this blog anymore. But, for those of you who do maybe this will help you a little.

I've never officially been diagnosed with having Celiac disease but I'm pretty sure that I have it. I had blood work done to test it and three different results came back. One said I had it, one said I was on the fence, and one said I didn't have it. I've read several discourses about the blood tests that they run in order to tell if a person has CD or not and if any of them come back positive then you do indeed have it. The doctor told me that I didn't have it through a fancy little letter in the mail. I was relieved and from that day to now have continued to eat as much gluten as I possibly can. Now, why would a person who said he was convinced he has this life-altering disease, continue to eat such foods? Well, to put it bluntly, gluten-free foods taste like garbage. Well, most of them do anyway. I've found very little in the way of a good treat that doesn't contain gluten that taste good. Most of them taste like cardboard and the ones that don't taste like that taste like poop. There are however a few varieties of foods that don't contain gluten that I find amazingly delicious. Fresh fruits, vegetables, and most mexican foods don't have gluten in them. Beans of every kind don't have gluten and they are good for you. But, who wants to eat healthy every single day for the rest of their life? When you choose the gluten free diet you choose to change your life completely. Once you stop eating gluten it's essential that you continue not eating it otherwise you risk destroying vital functions of the body. One day I'm going to have to stop eating it but as for now I don't think I will. If there is a person who thinks that a gluten-free diet will help them consider it responsibly. It really is a life-altering change. You shouldn't eat gluten purposely after you have stopped. You can't go off and on it when you feel it's best for you. It's a big change but one that can be worth it to a lot of people!

-Jeremy-

No comments: