Monday, November 4, 2013

Walmart sucks...nuff said!

It's been quite a while.  I hope all of my favorite people are still alive and doing well!  It's been pretty crazy around the Sorensen household.  We've been trying to make a lot of decisions.  We've made a lot of hard decisions.  We have a lot of things going on. It's amazing how much can change in a few months.  I'll get into that in a few minutes. 

The first and most important thing I'd like to discuss is the fact that I finally got a new job!  You have no idea how relieving it is to not work at walmart anymore.  I know a lot of people who really enjoy working there, but I just can't see it.  The only good experience I had working there was the opportunity to work with awesome people.  I made a lot of good friends!  There were days however, that I wanted to come home and rant and rave about how much I hated it, but couldn't.  Walmart has this policy where you can't say anything negative about the company in a public forum.  If you are an associate of the store you aren't aloud to say anything that will make Walmart look bad.  Guess what, I don't work there anymore!  I can now voice all of my frustrations.

 I hated how they always undermined every decision I made.  When I was a Customer Service Manager, I would make decision based on good judgement.  I was taught to do that by the managers that were over me.  Then when they didn't like the decisions I made, they would change them.  They wouldn't even ask me why I made that decision, they would just change it.  I would never be taken seriously if I had a complaint.  Everyone talked about everyone behind their backs.  Management was constantly talking about how much they disliked this person, and how lazy that person was.  When I moved from Idaho Falls to a store in UT, I was treated like trash.  They treated me like I didn't know what I was doing.  I was meant to feel like I was worthless.  I knew the moment that they gave me an almost 200 dollar pay cut, that it was time for me to find a new job.  They told me that they would work around my schedule, as long as my schedule fit into the specific parameters that they had already set up for me.  Walmart has specific policies that everyone has to follow but no one in management is expected to follow them.  When I was a cashier, I had a manager who refused to speak to me for 3 months.  The day she finally did say something to me was the day I was receiving a coaching.  Also, it took them almost 2 months to finally give me that coaching.  Walmart is anything but fast about helping associates understand that they need to do better.  I had a customer throw an air conditioner at me and the most important thing on my managers mind was what I had done to make the customer upset, not if I was okay after I had something so heavy chucked at me.  I was constantly depressed working there.  I never felt good, and didn't feel fulfilled.  I have a lot of other stories, this is just the tip of the iceburg!

  I now work with Intermountain Healthcare.  As I'm quite paranoid, I'll just leave it at that.  If you want more details than I'm giving just ask.  I'm a line cook.  I love my job.  I don't quite know why, but making food for people, even the simple dishes that I do, gives me a sense of accomplishment.  The only thing I haven't liked doing so far is filling up the mayonnaise.  I'll get over it, and at least I can wear gloves.  I've never really enjoyed touching the off-white egg and oil substance and probably never will.  It has an odd smell and an even stranger taste.  When people ask for it, I try and put as little as I have to on whatever it is that I'm making for them.  If I don't like eating it, how in the world can they!  

-J.Scott-

No comments: