Thursday, February 26, 2015

Por que la Comida?

I have a confession to make. If I haven't told you guys this yet let me get it off my chest.  I, Jer, have an obsession with....food.  I know, I should be ashamed of myself.  I'm sorry, I just can't help it.  I love it.  It inspires me.  It helps my imagination.  It helps me create.  It helps me feel better.  Now, before you go around thinking that I'm some 500 pound troll living in a cave, craving fatty meat, let me explain to you why I love food so much. 

When I'm watching a movie or TV show, my time is spent online looking at pictures of the masterpieces people have created in the food world.  I will type in the search bar something like "good food", and then stare at the pictures I come across instead of watching whatever is on the TV.  Like someone who stares at a Picasso or a Rembrandt I look at food and wish I could create the same thing. I find food beautiful.  It is essential for every living thing to eat at some time in it's life.  I say that because there are some animals that can go for years without eating by shutting down a part of their body (Also interesting).  Food sustains us and keeps us going.  It provides us the energy that we need to go throughout our day.

I love the cracking sound that onions make when you put them in a hot pan to saute.  I love the sizzle they make when you add a liquid to them to help them reach a nice golden colour.  I love the rich purple hue of eggplant.  When you look at it you can tell it's going to be good, and good for you.  I love the richness of tomatoes and bell peppers.  Food provides you nutrients.  It helps you live.   That being said, I don't like how some foods will destroy your body.  I believe that all food can be good if eaten in specific quantities.  But, when someone eats too much of one thing and not enough of another, the food can harm you.  If you have never thought about it, food is a very powerful thing.  It can cause someone to become vicious, eliminating it from the life of someone else they despise.  But, at the same time it gives another person a way to express their love (and I love you all so let me make you a grilled cheese...I'll use fancy cheese).  It can help you feel better but it can also kill you(like the damn lady who always comes in and might as well ask you to wear a hazmat suit because she's allergic to Gluten).  There are foods out their that are poisonous to humans but at the same time very beneficial.  An example is the rhubarb plant.  The leaves are toxic to our bodies but the sweet deep red stalks are very healthy and if you are anyone but me, tasty.

As you know, I'm trying my hardest to eat to be and feel better.  It's a lifestyle choice that I'm trying to make so that I don't have to feel like shit (sorry my mormon readers) for the rest of my life.  I'm trying to eliminate or eat very sparingly, the foods that harm my body.  I'm trying to eat more deep leafy greens and rich colourful fruits, and I don't like fruit.  I'm trying not to eat as many sweets and candies.  I love to make pastries but I'm refraining.  I'm starting to take control of my body.  I'm allowing the food that I love so much to help me be better.         

At the same time, I'm not just eating to survive anymore. There are a lot of people that I know who eat just to keep from feeling hungry.  They eat so that they can move on with the rest of their day.  This world is full of beautiful and amazing food.  I am now eating to experience a part of the world often disregarded because it's not the "norm" thing to eat, like bull testicles.  I invite anyone and everyone who reads the blog to go on the same journey as me.  I'm hoping through this blog that I can share with you my adventures.  That's why I decided, with my wife, to eat 1001 foods.  I'm changing the way I view food.  It's not all about cocoa puffs and peanut butter sandwiches anymore.  Now, hand me those testicles. 



-Jer

No comments: